How To Update Kodi Quickly & Easily
How To Update Kodi: If you are reading this article, you probably already have a certain version of Kodi installed and now you want to update it to a new version. The good news is that you can do this in no time – and we’re about to show you how.
We’ve wanted to make this article a one-stop shop for any Kodi user out there. With this said, we’re going to talk about how to update Kodi on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon FireOS, and pretty much anything in between.
How To Update Kodi On Firestick
When Kodi is updated, the latest version of dependencies are installed. Kodi addons update to work with these new dependencies and old versions of Kodi are not compatible with addons anymore.
Starting with Kodi 17, support for Android 4.4 is no more. If you still have 4.4 and your box is a few years old, it’s time to upgrade. We’ve hand-picked some boxes for you to check out on Amazon, where shipping is free around the world.
How To Update Kodi On Firestick 2018
In version 18, a lot of backend Kodi code was standardized to work with each operating system: Android TV, Windows, Mac, Linux, and more. This initially caused some growing pains, but is a good thing. It’s allowed Kodi developers to take advantage of native Android TV features like leanback suggestions and DRM support for live streaming.
- Change your skin back to Estuary, the default Kodi 17/18 skin! Skins are not backwards compatible. If you have one that Kodi 18 doesn’t support, you’ll get a black screen and you’ll need to perform a fresh install.
- Do NOT install the same build on the newest version of Kodi as on the previous version. Builds, like skins, are not backwards compatible in most cases. You need a build made for the latest version of Kodi.
- Save yourself some headache and backup Kodi before upgrading.
- Double check that you don’t have Android 4.4! In the Android area of your box, go to Settings > About to view Operating System info.
Finally, the much anticipated Kodi 18.5 Leia dropped down a few days back and users are currently scampering to lay their hands on it. Just as expected, the Kodi 18.5 Leia comes with much-anticipated improvement and stands as an upgrade from the Kodi 18.4 and Krypton by addressing grey areas from its predecessor. However, we’ve received many messages from users asking for guides on how to update Kodi on Firestick and thus here it is.
If you’re using Kodi Krypton or 18.4, you can update to the latest version by following the method we listed in the guide but we won’t be discussing that first. Before updating your Kodi on Firestick, you should first confirm the version of Kodi currently running on your device to determine if an update is required or not. If you haven’t installed Kodi yet, you might want to follow how to install Kodi on firestick guide. You can also download Kodi 18.5 APK directly from the given link if you are an Android user.
To do that, follow the following steps below:
- Navigate to the Home screen of the Firestick
- Scroll over to the “Settings “ menu
- Go through the setting menu item and look for “Applications”. Click on it.
- Under the “Applications” sub-menu, click on Manage Installed application
- Scroll over to Kodi
The version of Kodi currently running on Firestick will be displayed on the right-hand side. If the current version displayed is the latest Kodi Leia 18.5 (In most cases, It Won’t), then you’re all ok and don’t have to do anything. If it is 18.4 or below version, Follow the below steps to get the latest Kodi on your Firestick.
You might be afraid of losing your favorite addons but we want to make sure our users that using below method you will not lose any of your addons, It will remain the same as they were before the update. So be cool & Go ahead.
How To Update Kodi On Android Tv Box
- At the end of the update, click Done.
- However, work is not done yet. The Kodi file is quite huge and may take lots of spaces. To get rid of the file installer, and free up space for other apps, click on Delete simultaneously twice and navigate back to your Firestick Home screen. This time, it will be the last.
- Once it is installed successfully, Launch it.
- Click on Allow
Find Downloader app from the available search results. It will be the first app with an orange icon. Click on it and you will find Download option in the very next screen.On the Homepage of Downloader app, you will see the URL box. Click on it to bring the keyboard. Now type exactly the following link: bitly.com/kodi1805Congratulations! You’ve successfully completed the update of Kodi 18.5 Leia on Firestick.
- It will start to download and after that to install automatically.
- On successfully inputting, click Go for the Kodi package to start downloading.
- Wait for some minutes for the download process to finish.
After successfully downloading, a menu will appear asking you to update Kodi on Firestick, click “Install” and the updating will automatically commence. This will take some time.
How To Update Kodi To 17.3
The free TROYPOINT Supercharge Kodi Guide will show you how to install the best addons with a few clicks. Stop spending hours scouring the Internet for the best Kodi Addons.
This free guide has been downloaded by over 600,000 cord-cutters.
Remember, by installing a repository, you will have the freedom to choose different streaming add-ons for your enjoyment. TROYPOINT’s list of the Best Kodi Add-ons can be found here: Best Kodi Add-On Page.
If you are looking for a simple way to install the best add-ons and repositories quickly and efficiently, I suggest using a Kodi Build. Click this link for a list of the Best Kodi Builds.
Prior to updating Kodi, you should ensure that your favorite addons and/or build is compatible with the new version.
If you are using a Kodi build, you should change the skin back to default Estuary prior to going through the guide below. You can usually do this under System / Interface Settings / Skin in most builds.
Kodi 18.5 Leia is the current stable release.
Prior to updating Kodi on Firestick or Fire TV, we should first determine which version of Kodi we are currently running to ensure there is an available update.
To learn more about the above-mentioned update method, as well as to explore other options, we’ve prepared a dedicated article. So, here’s how to install Kodi on Windows over your existing installation. This will move all your files to the new version of Kodi, which means that you’ll get to keep all your addons and custom settings.
There is only one way to update Kodi on MacOS, and that is by reinstalling it. This will move the newly updated files, which will replace your existing Kodi installation. Here’s what you need to do:
- Visit Kodi’s official website using a Web browser, and click on ‘Download’;
- Now, scroll down and select ‘MacOS’;
- Finally, click on the button that says ‘Installer (64bit)’, which will download the latest Kodi installation file available in the DMG file format;
- Once the file is downloaded, open it by double-clicking on it;
- And lastly, drag-and-drop Kodi’s application file into your Application folder. You’ll be asked whether you want to replace the existing file, so confirm your decision.
- That’s it!
As you can see, this process is exactly the same as when you install Kodi on MacOS. So, use the provided link to go to our dedicated article, where you’ll find helpful screenshots and additional information.
As Linux users already know, applications are typically installed on this OS by typing a series of commands. Therefore, it’s not surprising to see the same procedure is applied to updating Kodi.
- First, run the Terminal interface (CTRL + ALT + T);
- Input this command first: sudo apt-get update and confirm by pressing Enter;
- Then, use this command: sudo apt-get upgrade;
- And finally, input this command: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade;
- That’s it! Kodi will now be downloaded and updated to the latest available stable version.
Of course, if you have a Linux distribution with Software Updater included, you can use this handy utility. In case something goes wrong, you can return one step and install Kodi on Linux once again, from scratch. This is the safest way to avoid any potential issues.
Android users rely on the Google Play Store to download and install apps, where their operating system does all the heavy lifting. With this said, you can use the Play Store to update your apps, including Kodi.
- Launch the Play Store on your Android device;
- Click on the hamburger button in the top-left corner;
- Then, select ‘My Apps & Games’;
- If new updates are available, this is where you’ll see them. Click on ‘Update’ on the right side of the screen to update Kodi.
- That’s it!
In case you’ve ‘sideloaded’ Kodi on your Android device (which is often the case with Android Boxes and Android TV devices), you’ll need to reinstall a new version of Kodi over the existing installation. To see how this is done, read our article on how to install Kodi on Android, where you’ll find everything you need to know.
How do you update Kodi on Amazon Firestick?
What is the latest version of Kodi?
Is Kodi Legal & Safe?
What you need to remember is that Kodi uses third-party addons for streaming. If you are streaming copyrighted content, then it could be both illegal and unsafe.